RSS Feed

E Pluribus Unum

Posted on

The founders of the United States of America described the essence of this nation by the motto E Pluribus Unum, “out of many, one”.  They believed that free individuals could organize and govern themselves, and for over two hundred years, they have been correct. Our democratic republic has become the strongest, richest nation in the world. Today we are in danger of losing the freedoms that made our country great. Our history is being erased; our system of government is being dismantled; truth is being distorted. America could now better be described as “out of one, many groups pitted against each other for political gain.”

Ronald Reagan said, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” If we are to remain free in this generation, as well as those to follow, we must trust God and put loyalty to our country above loyalty to our gender, ethnicity, political party, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation. We must relate as individuals, heart to heart.

My hope is to provide a forum for dialog among Americans. We each have unique perspectives to lend to the discussion. If  we will talk to each other with respect for individual differences and without talking points, maybe we can restore the heart of this country. Just maybe, we can solve the problems that have divided us to become “one” once again.

Is that a pipe dream? Are we so alienated that we can no longer hear what the other side is saying? Maybe we really all want the same things, but extremists on either side have distorted our words so much we can’t understand each other. Can we think any more deeply than a slogan allows? We won’t know if we don’t try.

I’ll go first each week. It’s a dangerous proposition to become vulnerable with you, but even more so not to. Join me if you dare.  Remember, E Pluribus Unum.

Advertisements

About Patti Wells

I'm a concerned American. I grew up in the fifties, and came of age in the sixties, so I've seen both sides of the cultural revolution that took place in the late sixties. As a Baby Boomer, I'm part of the last generation to really know the liberty that this country has provided for its citizens. I'm the widowed mother of two adult children and a retired mathematics professor at a local community college. I lead a weekly Bible study and sing in the choir at church. I play canasta with a group of friends each week, and I enjoy sports and movies.

17 responses »

1. charles m. conner

excellent start, Patti. Far better than what I anticipated. You have found your true north–
    about time. Soon, your name will be a household word–the dems trying to figure out how
    to dismember you!!!! Keep up the good work,
    CMC

2. Amen and Amen! Good goin’, Girlfriend! Keep ’em coming!

3. Debbie Simon

Oh, let us not distort words-I agree with you !

4. Robert Wilson

Re the comment by Mr. Conner…talking about ‘the dems trying to figure out how to dismember you’ is not a very productive attitude to have in trying to come together. Demonizing those with whom you have differences is core to divisiveness.

5. I have been thinking along similar lines lately. I had grandparents that ate what they raised. If they wanted to eat chicken that night, she had to catch it, wring its neck, and well, you know the rest. The students I teach today are so far removed from that. They can’t even comprehend how easy they have it. I know you are hitting a broad spectrum of thoughts and ideas, so I’ll come back to this as I get more ideas to share.

• You are so right. Why and how do you think this has happened? How can we reach this generation before it’s too late?

By the way, my grandparents and parents survived the Great Depression because they had food on the farm. That gave rise to the Greatest Generation.

6. Robert Wilson

Funny how replies which disagree with this position get deleted…

7. Press on, dear friend, let your voice be heard loud and clear.
    “Write what you see. Write it out in big block letters” (Habakkuk 2:2).

8. I totally agree with everything you have said. We need to communicate better with both sides and take our country back. Turning to God is the first step in changing the course we are on in this country.

• I totally agree with you, Pam, that we need to turn back to God.
      even more, you are implying in that statement that we have turned away from Him. Isn’t it interesting that we looked to God when we needed Him following 911, but we didn’t repent and change our ways. Our culture is worse now and our country is more divided than it was before the attacks.

• I don’t think we have turned away from God! I do think we have allowed stupid people to take Him out of our everyday American way of life. I think that we need to get God back in our schools!!! Our kids should be able to pray and say the Pledge of Allegiance!!

• You’ve reached the heart of the discussion. Is God still the heart of this country? If so, the people of God need to repent for the failure to be vigilant in protecting the religious liberty granted in the First Amendment.

9. Debbie Simon

…One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

10. re: robert wilson – the blog said there were 14 comments and each one was printed, so where are the deletions.

11. re: robert wilson – in order to effect change you must know who the enemy is and who is collaborating with the enemy. The dems are collaborating with the enemy and paving the way for the enemy to take over this country. When you stand for nothing, others will impose their values and you will be stuck with values you let get imposed. Now the dems are offering and have been offering security for liberty. The more security you get the less liberty you have. Take the welfare system in America, no one is against a safety net for people, but after 30 years of spending over 6 trillion dollars on poverty, we still have just as many poor people. Those stuck in the system have security, but have lost their liberty, their self-worth, and their ability to rely upon themselves. Besides that, they get just enough to survive and are punished for earning anything on the side that might help them get out of poverty. You have a choice, you can choose security and rely upon the government or you can choose liberty and trust in God. You cannot serve God and mammon.

• Great reply, Stan. Our welfare system has created many more slaves than the Old South. Anyone who is capable of providing for himself or herself and doesn’t is the slave of the one paying the bills.